Sunday, September 03, 2006

New Ride For Mike V

This weekend I replaced my trusty Hyundai with a civic Hybrid. Here she is:

















It will allegedly get 49mpg in the city, and 51 on the highway. I'll let you know.

I know there has been some press lately that even though I'll spend less money in gas, the extra money that I paid to buy a hybrid vs. a conventional car is too much to make it worth it. I'm not sure about that, and I wonder who is doing the math, or pushing that story, and I wonder how expensive they are projecting gas prices to get to. What if gas goes up to $5.00 a gallon? Would I still have saved money by buying a conventional car? My plan is to keep this car for a long time. In fact, my goal is 250,000 miles. I'm up to 50. 249,950 to go.

Howver, if you're considering a hybrid, it really is not about money. It's about using less gas (and less oil). Unless you like giving your money to Exxon/Mobil? Oh, and it's also really about creating fewer emissions. We only have one Earth, people.

Also, the hybrid is just really cool. Gotta figure in the cool factor.

Official Honda Civic Hybrid website

No comments: