Friday, May 19, 2006

Mets Vs. Yankees Tonight!

It's times like this I feel like I'm a million miles from New York. The Mets are going head to head against The Evil Empire, The Junkees, The Friggin Yankees! So where's the excitement?

Tonight is the first game of the "Subway Series," and the only word I've heard about it today is from a couple of Braves fans who are hoping the Mets lose at least two out of three this weekend so Atlanta can pick up a game or two. I'm missing out on the baseball mania up in New York! I am missing out on the boasting and proclamations of sweeps in either direction. There's no one here I can harass.

Instead, I'll boast a little bit right here:

The Mets record is 24-16, second-best in the National League.

The Mets are in FIRST PLACE, two games up over the Phillies, and three-and-a-half over Atlanta.

Despite the pitching dilemma, the Mets have the 4th-best ERA in baseball, and opposing batters have the lowest batting average against Mets pitching than any other team.

Lets Go Mets!

The pitching matchups for this weekend:
5/19 Jeremi Gonzalez (0-0, 5.40) vs. Randy Johnson ( 5-4, 5.13)
5/20 Pedro Martinez (5-0, 3.19 ERA) vs. Mike Mussina (6-1, 2.56 ERA)
5/21 Tom Glavine (6-2, 2.43 ERA) vs. Shawn Chacon (4-1, 5.21 ERA)


Tonight's pitcher, Jeremi Gonzalez, has a lifetime record against the Yankees of 1-2 with a 4.30 ERA . The Yankees have Randy Johnson starting tonight against the Mets. In the last three seasons, Randy Johnson has gone 3-2 with a 2.32 ERA against the Mets. In Johnson's last four starts this year he's allowed 22 runs - 17 earned - in just 21 1/3 innings.


Since I don't get WPIX (Channel 11) down here in North Carolina, I'll be watching the game on DirecTV, on the YES Network. Hopefully I can stomach the announcers - I may have to listen on the computer instead. Things will be better tomorrow, when the games are on the national FOX and ESPN broadcasts.

No comments: