Made this last night. Mmmmmm...
Annie and Mike V's Beer, Cheese, and Potato Soup
5 large russet potatoes, peeled and cubed into 1 inch pieces
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 small onion, diced
12 oz. bottle of Amstel Light (or beer of choice)
1/2 cup milk
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup flour
1 tablespoon corn starch
2 celery stalks, sliced into 1/2 inch slices
1 can of corn
2 lbs. Velveeta, cubed
salt and fresh ground pepper
1. Put the potatoes and 1 cup cold water in a microwaveable bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Vent the plastic wrap with a fork or knife. Microwave on high for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
2. In a large pot, saute the garlic and onions in olive oil on medium/high heat.
3. Add potatoes and the water they steamed in.
4. Add beer, chicken broth, and just enough water to cover potatoes (about two cups)
5. Add flour, corn starch, celery, salt and plenty of freshly ground pepper. Stir regularly to prevent potatoes from sticking to the bottom and burning.
6. Once liquid has begun to thicken, add milk and corn. Cook at medium heat for about two or three more minutes.
7. Reduce heat to low, and add Velveeta cheese. Stir continuously to prevent cheese from burning in bottom of pot. I like to add more black pepper at this point.
8. Be patient and wait for more thickening! We are looking for a nice, thick chowder here. Once the soup is really nice and thick you are ready to serve.
Best served with warm biscuits.