Thursday, January 26, 2006

A Real Ringer

This week I got a new cell phone, the Samsung a950. In addition to all the things a phone is supposed to do, it has a 1.3 megapixel camera and an mp3 player included. Pretty cool, huh?

The only problem with the 1.3 megapixel capability is that you can't send a picture that large over the airwaves. I took a picture at the camera's highest limits, but now the picture is just stuck in the phone, only viewable through the phone's 1 inch LCD display! I can't even transer the picture to my computer via a cable, like a regular digital camera. To transfer a picture, I need to buy a special $99 Trans Flash memory card and separately, a card reader to connect to a computer (I don't know how much that reader is). Okay, well that doesn't really bother me. I already have a decent digital camera, and at low settings, the phone's camera is useful for assigning pics to a person's phone number, or sending quick snapshots to friends.

The mp3 player would be okay, if I didn't already have an iPod, or was willing to shell out $2.50 per song.

What I DO like about the phone, besides that it looks cool, is the ability to record custom ringtones with the built-in microphone or through e-mail. Because of that feature, I finally have the ringtone I have always wanted, ever since I got my first cell phone - The original 1962 version of "Meet The Mets", the Mets' theme song. Heh, heh...

Speaking of the Mets, I started a new blog today, about what it's like to be a transplanted Mets fan. The url is www.transplantedmetsfan.blogspot.com Hope you enjoy it!

No comments: