Monday, December 19, 2005

The Family Kong

I saw two movies this weekend: King Kong and The Family Stone. Obviously I dragged my wife to the former, and she dragged me to the latter. I expected The Family Stone to be a "chik flik" and a dreadful experience, but it actually turned out to be a pretty good movie. I had expected that all the "funny" parts were shown in the preview, but in actuality the preview didn't give that much away at all, and I was happy to find out that the funniest parts were saved for people who went to see the movie. Guys, this is a good movie to let your better halves drag you to. You'll enjoy it, and you'll score a point or two as well.

Kong was everything I expected, and then some. It was the "then some" that bugged me a bit. I'm not talking about the length of the movie; the three hours went by fast enough. My only issue with the film was that I thought director Peter Jackson went a bit too far with the love story. The love story between Naomi Watts' character and the big ape, that is. Poor Adrian Brody and his character were so overshadowed by this creepy love affair. My feeling was that Ann Darrow's affection for the beast would have been better portrayed more like the way a person feels affection for a pet. Jackson made Kong too human-like. He went just a bit too Lord Of The Rings fantasy for me. The magic of the King Kong story is the idea that it could actually happen, and Jackson went a bit too far for me to completely suspend disbelief.
Grades:
Stone: B
Kong: B-

No comments: