Thursday, February 02, 2006

Punxsutawney Phil: America's Most Misunderstood Rodent?

He is a rodent, right?

Anyway, Happy Groundhog Day, everyone! Today, the prognosticator known as Punxsutawney Phil allegedly predicted six more weeks of winter. Why do I say 'allegedly'? Because I believe Phil's predictions are being misunderstood, year after year.

Most sites I checked say Phil is right about 39% of the time. That's not even as good as flipping a coin! Well, I believe in Phil. I would like to pose the theory that his accuracy rate is actually 61%, and we have just gotten the whole 'see his shadow/not see his shadow' interpretation of weather forecast reversed!

On the other hand, I should also point out that Phil has "seen his shadow" 94 times out of the last 117 times, so maybe we should stop dragging the poor bastard out of his hole every year and wait for him to send us an e-mail or something with his prediction.

No comments: